Thursday, January 30, 2014

Review: The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Rating: 5 stars
Author: Neil Gaiman
Genre: Fiction-fantasy
Publisher: William Morrow Books

Not much needs to be said about this book.  


1. It's a Neil Gaiman. If you like Gaiman, you'll like this. If you don't like Gaiman, you'll probably like this. It's that good.  Though be sure to put on your thinking cap and your weird shoes, but after all, as I said-- it's Gaiman.

2. Listen to the audio book. Really. I mean it. LISTEN TO THE AUDIO BOOK. Gaiman narrates. He's amazeballs. His narration has more atmosphere than any of the audio books I've read in the past year combined. If his author gig fails, I think he has a career as a audiobook reader. That voice!

3. The story is simple, poetic and gorgeous. It's also creepy as hell. Gaiman's descriptions and use of language are just...I don't even know...completely captivating.  

4. In fact, everything about this short little book is captivating. I'm not even going to tell you what it is about, because honestly it doesn't matter. The story is beautiful and interesting, but it's all about the ATMOSPHERE, like I said. 

5. Go, read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment